Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Taste of Summer

For me, certain tastes usher in summer. Today I had a homegrown cucumber from a farmers market and I thought I was in heaven. As I sat at the table I just closed my eyes and savored the taste. In years past these treats would have come from our own garden but with the new house we are still working on it. We are blessed to have several farmer's markets in our area with great produce. I love buying cucumbers, tomatoes, corn, zucchini and squash.
I wanted to share a delicious Chocolate Zucchini Bread recipe with you. I don't usually tell people that it is zucchini bread until after they have tasted it. :)

Chocolate Zucchini Bread
3 eggs
2 c. sugar (I usually do 1 c. sugar and 1 c. splenda)
1 c. oil
2 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 c. flour (I substitute 1 c. of whole wheat flour)
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon (I usually add a little extra)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. baking cocoa
2 c. shredded zucchini (2 small or one large)
Options:
1/2 c. chopped nuts
3/4 c. chocolate chips

In a large bowl, blend together the eggs, sugar, oil, and vanilla. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, soda, cinnamon, and salt. Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and blend well. Stir in the cocoa, zucchini and options. Pour into 2 greased and floured loaf pans. Bake at 350 for about 50 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment